Irish Repertory Theatre, a year-round producing company located in Chelsea, Manhattan, called “New York’s finest Off-Broadway theater” in The Wall Street Journal in 2019, and “the leader in streaming theater productions” in Theatermania in 2020, seeks a Director of Marketing and Digital Strategy to join the team immediately, overseeing marketing, digital strategy, and ticketing initiatives for the company.
The Director of Marketing and Digital Strategy reports to Irish Rep’s Artistic and Producing Directors and is responsible for directing all day-to-day marketing, advertising, and ticketing efforts; upholding the organizational brand; growing and improving digital infrastructure; and advancing and communicating initiatives related to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. During the COVID-19 shutdown, the Director is responsible for the marketing, communication, distribution, and pricing of all digital products and initiatives, including regularly-scheduled full-length digital productions and special events. When the theater reopens, the position will oversee marketing and ticket sales for Irish Rep’s digital stage as well as a 148-seat mainstage and a 60-seat flexible studio theatre space.
Irish Repertory Theatre is preparing to return to its physical space as an expanded institution, with over 50% audience growth over the past year. The Director of Marketing and Digital Strategy will be responsible for integrating Irish Rep’s new digital production model with its in-person programs, leading the transition to a new hybrid business model in a post-COVID landscape.
A successful candidate is creative, collaborative, detail-oriented, tech-savvy, able to maintain a leadership role in a fast-paced environment, and committed to building positive and welcoming experiences for all Irish Rep patrons and employees. Due to the nature of the position, some schedule flexibility is required, including evenings, weekends, and some holidays. This is currently a remote position that requires internet and computer access; a hybrid of in-person and remote work will be expected when the theater reopens.
Irish Rep is committed to building a creative and collaborative workplace that celebrates the diversity of its artists and staff; applicants of both Irish and non-Irish descent are strongly encouraged to apply. Irish Rep is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are encouraged to read the company DEI Statement before applying to this position.
- Maintain and strengthen brand identity
- Lead all earned revenue initiatives (up to $2.5 million annually)
- Direct marketing strategy and execution in service of 10-12 annual productions, plus special events and digital programs, developing unique and tailored art and outreach strategies for each distinct initiative.
- Lead Irish Rep marketing team, including a full-time Art Director/Marketing Manager and Marketing Associate
- Oversee Irish Rep box office operations and staff, including Box Office Manager and part-time Associates, in collaboration with General Manager
- Develop, implement, and evaluate all ticketing policies and strategies
- Serve on Irish Rep’s joint Board-Staff Committee for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, advancing committee initiatives and overseeing communications strategy and development
- Manage communications timeline and serve as the primary point of contact with the outside press team
- Identify opportunities and implement business strategies that lead to company growth and process improvement in collaboration with Irish Rep leadership and senior staff
- Maintain and continuously improve Irish Rep digital infrastructure, including platforms for both external and internal use
- Supervise content creation for all print and digital media channels
- Forecast and report earned revenue potential for the company through data collection and management
- Liaise with board and company leadership, communicating needs, goals, and priorities from an earned revenue and mission-oriented standpoint
- Develop and coordinate audience development efforts with an emphasis on diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Oversee data strategy and cleanliness of ticketing and sales CRM
- Support fundraising team with membership strategy, communications, and outreach
- Coordinate special events for audience development, group sales, and other initiatives
- Support planning and execution of annual gala, typically responsible for a significant portion of the company’s contributed income
- Oversee Irish Rep Intern outreach and experience with the Director of Development
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, Master’s degree a plus. 5+ years’ experience in arts marketing and/or sales particularly in nonprofit theatre
- Experience with an arts ticketing CRM (such as OvationTix or Spektrix), Google Analytics, Constant Contact, and WordPress preferred
- Passion for innovation and continuous improvement of business practices and audience experience
- Knowledge of the New York and digital theater community
- Interest in Irish theater, arts, culture, and/or history
- Dedication to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility
- An eye for design & branding
- Direct management experience with supervisory responsibilities
- Demonstrated success in executing marketing strategy, especially in planning, directing, and executing campaigns
- Superior oral, written, and grammatical skills
- Exceptional computer skills
- Superior organizational skills, leadership ability, multitasking, and strategic thinking
- An “all hands on deck” attitude.
To apply: Please submit a cover letter with resume and references as attachments to Lisa Fane, General Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “Director of Marketing & Digital Strategy Opportunity” in the subject line. The deadline to apply is March 15, 2021, at 12 noon EST. No phone or direct email/message inquiries, please. Applicants must apply via email; applicants who apply via 3rd party platform may not be considered.
This is a full-time position with excellent benefits, including health and a 403b plan. The salary range is high $60k to low $70k, commensurate with experience. Irish Repertory Theatre is committed to diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.