Irish Repertory Theatre, a year-round producing company located in Chelsea, Manhattan which the Wall Street Journal in 2019 called “New York’s best Off-Broadway theatre troupe,” seeks a highly self-motivated individual with a well-rounded skill set to join our staff as Production Manager/Technical Director. This person will work closely with the Producing Director and General Manager to ensure smooth operations for the theatre’s production schedule. Irish Rep stages the works of Irish and Irish-American classic and contemporary playwrights and operates a 148-seat mainstage and a 60-seat flexible studio theatre space. The Irish Rep also is a leader in streaming digital theatre and plans to continue producing and distributing digital works.
A successful candidate is a “take charge” kind of person with a positive attitude, who is detail-oriented, collaborative, flexible, a good communicator, calm under pressure, and committed to Irish Rep’s continued success.
This is a full-time position with excellent benefits, including 100% employer-paid healthcare (with dental and vision coverage) and a 403b plan with a 2% Employer match after a year of service.
Irish Rep is committed to building a creative and collaborative workplace that celebrates the diversity of its artists and staff; applicants of both Irish and non-Irish descent are strongly encouraged to apply. Irish Rep is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are encouraged to read the company DEI Statement at irishrep.org before applying to this position.
Work with the Producing Director and General Manager in coordinating all aspects of the technical process for our Productions. As Production Manager/Technical Director you will
- Oversee all production needs for both our mainstage (148 seats) and flexible studio space (50-60 seats) and for digital capture/distribution of digital productions.
- Work with Producing Director and General Manager to ensure productions stay within budgetary parameters.
- Create and implement a working schedule for directors, designers, and production shops.
- Hire and supervise a crew for set construction and demo.
- Supervise set/lighting/audio load-in and strike with production shop and technicians.
- Schedule and hire scenic painters and be present for all evening paint calls.
- Assist sound and lighting designers as needed.
- Schedule crews and designers for work time.
- Facilitate new hires and coordinate payroll with general management.
- Coordinate with designers and rental houses for quotes on equipment rentals and special purchases.
- Work with SM and ASM in scheduling tech process.
- Work all tech days.
- Work shows during their runs
- The show schedule is generally 7 shows a week Wednesday through Sunday.
- Duties include checking lights, sound, projections, and set maintenance, as needed, and monitoring the show and providing support for stage management, as needed.
- May involve backstage duties based on the needs of the production.
- Source and order any expendables needed for the run
- Provide technical support and coordination for any special events at the request of the Producing Director, including the Irish Rep’s Annual Benefit Gala.
- Maintain off-site storage spaces and tech booth.
- Assist with props acquisition, as needed.
- Maintain safe, clean, and secure workspaces and storage areas that conform to all current OSHA and Fire/Life Safety regulations.
- Be trained and act as Fire Safety and COVID Compliance officer
- Track and perform maintenance on theatre and office facilities
- Foster collaborative, respectful relationships between production and general management, development, and marketing teams.
- Carpentry, electrical, sound, audio/video capture, and system networking skills and experience.
- Knowledge of EOS series consoles, Auto CAD and Vectorworks is preferred.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive a 26 ft truck.
- Must be able to lift 40lbs and work at heights up to 20’.
- Knowledge of and passion for the New York theater community.
- Superior organizational skills, ability to take initiative, passion for multitasking, and strategic thinking.
- Experience leading crews of various experience, age, and cultural backgrounds. Must be able to foster and maintain a culture of safety and inclusiveness and be committed to deescalating conflicts and minimizing drama.
- “All hands on deck” attitude and willingness to collaborate across departments. This is an organization where you never get to say “that’s not my job.”
Please submit resume (with references listed), cover letter, and salary expectations to Lisa Fane at jobs@IrishRep.org. Please put “Production Manager/TD Position” and your name in the subject line. No calls, tweets, or Facebook messages, please.
Salary range: high 50s/low 60s.