Irish Repertory Theatre, a year-round producing company located in Chelsea, Manhattan which the Wall Street Journal in 2019 called “New York’s best Off-Broadway theatre troupe,” seeks a highly self-motivated individual with a well-rounded skill set to join our staff as Production Manager / Technical Director. This person will work closely with the Producing Director and General Manager to ensure smooth operations for the theatre’s production schedule. Irish Rep stages the works of Irish and Irish-American classic and contemporary playwrights and operates a 148-seat mainstage and a 60-seat flexible studio theatre space.
A successful candidate is a skilled technician and a “take charge” kind of person, detail-oriented, collaborative, flexible, a good communicator, calm under pressure, and committed to Irish Rep’s continued success.
This is a full-time position with excellent benefits, including employer-paid healthcare (with dental and vision coverage) and a 403b plan. Irish Rep is committed to the diversity of its artists and staff; applicants of both Irish and non-Irish descent are encouraged to apply. Irish Rep is an equal opportunity employer.
Work with the Producing Director and General Manager in coordinating all aspects of the technical process for our Productions. As Production Manager / Technical Director you will
- Oversee all production needs for both our mainstage (148 seats) and flexible studio space (50-60 seats)
- Create and implement a working schedule for directors, designers, and production shops.
- Hire and supervise a crew for set construction and demo.
- Supervise set/lighting/audio load in and strike with production shop and technicians.
- Schedule and hire scenic painters and be present for all evening paint calls.
- Assist sound and lighting designers as needed.
- Schedule crews and designers for work time.
- Compile new hire paperwork and submit with hours to general management for payroll
- Coordinate with designers and rental houses for quotes on equipment rentals and special purchases.
- Work with SM and ASM in scheduling tech process.
- Work all tech days.
- Work shows during their runs
- Show schedule is generally 7 shows a week Wednesday through Sunday.
- Duties include checking lights, sound, projections, and any maintenance to the set.
- Backstage duties based on the needs of the production.
- Source and order any expendables needed for the run
- Provide technical support and coordination for any special events, including the Irish Rep’s Annual Benefit Gala.
- Maintain off-site storage spaces and tech booth.
- Assist with props acquisition, as needed.
- Track and perform maintenance on theatre and office facilities
- Carpentry, electrical, audio/video, and system networking skills.
- Knowledge of EOS series consoles is preferred.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Backstage working experience.
- Knowledge of and passion for the New York theater community
- Superior organizational skills, ability to take initiative, passion for multitasking and strategic thinking
- “All hands on deck” attitude and willingness to collaborate across departments. This is an organization where you never get to say “that’s not my job.”
Please submit resume (with references listed), cover letter, and salary expectations to Lisa Fane at jobs@IrishRep.org. Please put “Production Manager /Technical Director Position” and your name in the subject line. No calls, tweets, or Facebook messages please. Salary commensurate with experience.
Application Deadline: end of day on Monday, February 24